Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Incurable Optimist

Location: Home
Watching: USMNT international friendly vs. Germany
Reading: Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox
Progress: Cisco ICND1
Video Game: Bioshock Infinite

My medication isn't work like it's supposed to and I've been dealing with a lot of deaths and injuries lately.  So I've been going through a bunch of emotions.  The somewhat ironic thing is that in the time that all of these horrible things have happened, I was reading the book Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox. It is subtitled the Adventures of the Incurable Optimist.  So luckily I have for the most part been dealing with it well.  I have great friends who have helped me with the not so great times.

I keep keeping frustrated.  In this book MJF's wife is there to support him every step of the way.  Truly demonstrating "through good times and in bad."  I am jealous to not have something like that in my life, but luckily I have 2 things that take its place.  Great friends who are extremely helpful and always there to listen and a renewed love for running.  Running was a stress release unlike no other and something that I've definitely taken for granted.  It's times like these when I have to shut it down until we get this disease under control that I truly miss it.  When I am able to run again, I have to start training and have to get back to my goal of running a sub 20 5K.  If you told me in high school that one of my goals would be to sub 7 miles I'd laugh at you and tell you that you made a typo.  Right now it's an extremely daunting task.  I had thought about setting the goal at sub 8, but screw it.  I know I have to run sub 9 before I can run sub 8, but sub 8 is not my goal.  Sub 7 is. 

Right now it's mostly a mental issue, but I am being optimistic and realizing that if I actually start getting in shape and eating right and taking care of myself that it will help me not only accomplish this goal, but will ultimately allow me to be in better health to fight this disease.


No comments:

Post a Comment